You may remember a passing reference to my Myrna here.
This is where we last left it….
Unfortunately, it has been frogged three times since then and is well, now a collection of balls of yarn hibernating at the bottom of my knitting bag. Rarely have I had such misfortune with a knitting project.
First off, Andi released some amendments to her pattern as the row gauge had been shown incorrectly. These things happen and it was clearly explained and a number of versions of the pattern with various row gauges are now available.
I fished out my tape measure and checked my Myrna against the measurements that I should have at that point and realised that I did need to undo the fronts as the revised pattern was every so slightly different.
I quickly re-knitted the fronts – perhaps too quickly? Once again I came to joining the back and front to knit the rest of the body and…….. arrrrgggghhhh……
I’d managed to twist one of the fronts when I picked up the stitches along the shoulder of the back and I had one front facing one way and another in a completely different direction – this was NOT going to make a cardigan!!
Cue unraveling number two….
Following the correct pattern, making sure I checked that the fronts were both facing the right way, I started again and reached the point where I needed to join under the arms. I held my handiwork up to admire the pattern…….
Hmmmpphh – what more could go wrong you ask?
All I could see was a stripe across one of the fronts where I had changed balls of yarn.
Now I’m sure many a knitter out there knows that you need to buy your yarn all from the same dye lot. Occasionally I flout this rule (*gasp*) and so far I have been lucky. Some yarns are obviously better at hiding any slight variation in colour.
Drops Paris is NOT one of those yarns.
I was all too aware that I was using different dye lots. I was trying to use two part balls from a previous project and I had compared them both in natural light and couldn’t see any difference but well, trust me when I say that knitted up there was a significant difference!
In almost disbelief I started unraveling again and this time flung the balls into my knitting bag consigning them to the ‘another day’ pile in what was probably close to a teenage strop!
The next day though, I revisited the pattern, looked at the yardage I had (in the same die lot) and decided that I probably did have just enough to make my Myrna.
But those balls of Drop Paris are still in the bottom of my knitting bag as I really couldn’t face another installment of the dreaded frogging.
So instead, I’m plodding my way through a second school cardigan (I’m quite bored of it now!) whilst dabbling in a spot of crochet (from the self-confessed non-crocheter!!).
Please do share your knitting disasters because I’m really hoping that it isn’t just me!